Saturday, August 13, 2011

the first day

Well, it's almost 11pm and I've done about 86 miles. Being on the road since 12:30pm I wouldn't say that's too too shabby. I just ran out of sunlight, and I definitely didn't realize civilization ran so north and south along rt.91. Once I leave hadley, ma, I'm in pretty sparse towns with only 500-600 people. Part of me wants to ride through the night but that's just asking for something stupid to happen. I feel great and I plan on starting at 6am tomorrow to get to Rome, NY, where my friend Dan Hale's mother lives and is going to put me up for the night. That's 176 miles from where I am right now...I did 86 in 8 hours...tomorrow is gonna be the real test. Riding with all my gear is surprisingly comfortable. I've listened to a ton of music. Meshuggah and Com Truise are perfect tempos to get into real mechanical bike rhythms. My favorite though was riding as the sun went down to some Neil young 1971 live at massey hall. Yes, I was singing along. I was up in the mountains going through some wildlife reserved around the quabbin (spelling?) Resevior and it was just...perfect. it's so quiet out here and there's barely traffic. Rift now I'm in the lobby at a Hampton inn. The desk attendant mike is helping me a TON trying to find a place for the night. He grew up around here and knows the area very well and also rides! I've just been informed that a hotel that he thought was full is in fact not, so I've got a 2 mile ride down the street to get some rest for a long, looong day tomorrow. Talk to you all in the morning.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

2 comments:

  1. It was great to meet you. Good luck on the rest of your trip, I hope you find a lot of inspiring things on your trip. Mike the hotel guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for everything, mike. It was a very nice stay at the northhampton.

    ReplyDelete