Sunday, August 14, 2011

day 2: you have to be kidding me.

So, today didn't start off allll that bad. I thought I was gonna luck out and avoid the rain altogether. Had my little continental breakfast at hotel de swanky swank and was off on the road by 11. It had just stopped raining. Once I left northhampton that was IT for civilization until 3pm. Saw more bikers than I did cars. Bikers are all so friendly. They give the friendly wave, you give the friendly wave back, makes you feel all warm and want to say hey to every biker you see...at least I did that. I was in the mountains...big time. The angle of the elevation climbs were unreal. I'm talking like on my highest gear, while standing, for miles. Pioneer valley was just silly challenging. So I figured the first desents come around and I'm home free, flying 30+ miles an hour down a mountain and a car hasn't passed you in over an hour. But then I hit the berkshires. Then I hit not one or two, but three dirt roads. Buffington hill first. 2 miles straight up and all of a sudden it turns into a dirt road for 4 miles. This old lady and her dog were at the beginning of it and she should've warned me that I was in for it. The 2nd dirt road was short, but the 3rd, potter MOUNTAIN road, pfffft. My life ended there on that mountain. It was a mountain. I biked 4 miles on a road unfit for cars but was technically part of the highway. I went a couple minutes up the damn thing and turned around and knocked on the door of the first house I saw. I say to my new friend john, "is this for real? Is this a joke". He tells me 4 miles up the road you'll hit a main street. 4 miles. Doable I thought. It took me an hour to do it. I kicked and screamed like a baby dolphin the whole way too. I got to a point where I was dripping with so much sweat and the inclines were so steep that I just started walking the frigging bike out of disgust. Once I reached pavement, it was only a couple miles til I reached the new York border. Is say without stopping it took me about 13 hours to reach ny from Boston. I'm in niskayuna at my cousin Natalie's friend Hayley's house for the night. Super tired. Did I mention from 4pm-10pm I was biking on pouring rain? Oh yea and I met these 3 random guys at a gas station when I was getting some gatorade and they are hopefully checking this out right now! It's nice to see people interested in what I'm doing along the way. As for tomorrow? Forecast: rain all day. Destination: Rome (100ish miles). There's a bike path o can ride all the way from here to buffalo now so it looks like that is the plan. No more mountain madness.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment