Monday, August 15, 2011

and on day 3, god said unto thee, "let me kick your ass a bit"

Today. Today was the worst, most horrible, most wet, most draining, most look-back-and-laugh-at-my-stupidity day I've ever experienced. I was like a dog standing at the front door that has to pee but its snowing outside and its scared to run out there to do its business. I knew I was in for it. If I keep learning anything on this trip, its that my idea of being "in for it" doesn't come close to what I think of as being a worst case scenario. Yesterday I couldn't believe how hilly it was. Yesterday was the moat challenging bike ride ever. Today though? Today was worse than that. I'll take mountains any day over having to spend 10 hours in the pouring rain. I took the Erie canalway about 50 of my 84 miles today (I can't believe i haven't broke 100 yet) and I was flyyying. But I look back and wait, I'm averaging 8.4 mileage an hour? I'm I really stopping that often? I can do 15 an hour going from Boston to norwood so I just don't get it. I guess between beantown and norwood there's a whole bunch of uninteresting crap going on. No animals running around. No beautiful scenic landscapes to behold. It's funny when you do hit populated areas out here though because people do give you the most outrageous looks like I just emerged from a spaceship. It's funny. You definitely tend to care less when you've been by yourself all day and youre wet and covered with an inch of mud. Because I know I'm living and pushing every boundary I can right now...maybe a little too much. Therefore, I raise my right hand and swear to not ride in the dark anymore. 18 miles away from my destination in Rome I didn't see the road all of a sudden get more narrow and I went into some gravel and sling-shot myself back onto the street. Banged up my left elbow and waste pretty good. Haven't checked my guitar yet because its all wrapped up in garbage bags and its supposed to rain again tomorrow. But my handlebars got knocked out of alignment and I couldn't fix them I'm the pitch black pouring rain...and Noone would pull over to help me...so I got a stare trooper to pick me up and bring me to a motel. He said my trip sounds like something he's heard of on t.v. and that he saw me earlier on the highway thinking, " what is this guy crazy riding in the rain like that?" Well, tomorrow I will fix my bike and trudge into Rome to hang out for a bit. I might take the day off to work on music but I might just keep biking maybe 50 miles or so in order to avoid a balls-to-the-wall 150 mile day to batavia. I like how I think I can so 150 and I haven't even done 100 yet. Just need the weather to be nice to me.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

1 comment:

  1. LEO! I hope you're doing ok. I was in the basement at the Ave when Dan was on the phone with you! lol Be safe!!!

    ReplyDelete